Tuesday, June 14, 2005

I like this point of view

I'll try to keep this one short. I have some stuff tonight and I'm also keeping an eye on my Tigers, they lead San Diego in the 8th inning - following them through the Detroit Tigers Fan Forum.

While perusing some of my reading tonight, I came across an op-ed by Jon E. Dougherty. He's an author and journalist by trade, and a writer I became familiar with by reading WorldNetDaily. While it's not a true blog, WND is owed a debt by bloggers because it was one of the first independent online news sites and has managed to become a fairly trusted news roundup source.

Anyhow, Dougherty wrote a column advocating the newest military branch - the Border Guard. Basically, it would be a land equivalent of the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard is a civilian branch of the military, currently under the Department of Homeland Security (previously it was a part of the Department of Transportation.) While in wartime it answers to the U.S. Navy (and has much the same protocol), the Coast Guard is entrusted with a variety of civilian duties including law enforcement.

To me, it's an intriguing idea, because while the Border Patrol does a good job with limited resources, having an "Army lite" on the border would certainly help with homeland security. It may help the recruitment for the military as a whole, given the option of truly defending the homeland. And, if we do find that someday La Raza goes to paramilitary mode or even an "overseas" terrorist network such as Hezbollah is stirring up trouble, we can put the Border Guard under the command of the U.S. Army.

I think it's a fine compromise between security on the one hand and using the true military for law enforcement (which violates the Posse Comitatus Act.)

If you are reading this as a repeat offender, first of all thanks. Second of all, I was informed of an interesting blog called "Suitably Flip" by the author, a conservative who's also something of a financial expert (moreso than I, anyway.) So I appreciate him checking me out and give him a shout.

And yes, the Tigers won it 8-4. Shades of the last time San Diego played in Detroit, the clinching game 5 of the 1984 World Series was decided by the same score.