Tuesday, September 27, 2005

WCRC September meeting

Just a few comments on the Wicomico County Republican Club meeting I was at last night.

Now, I've been in a Republican club for the better part of 10 years; in fact, it was just about this time in 1995 that I joined the Toledo Metro Young Republican Club. The pet peeve I have about this group that I didn't have with others is that the meeting's supposed to start at 7:00 - but doesn't until 7:30 at the earliest. I understand there's a social aspect but come on, I like to get my other stuff done too (like work on this blog.) I had trouble when I ran the TMAYRC with latecomers, but more trouble with no-shows.

Anyway, aside from that, it went well. Our club has a pretty good bank balance that's 15% higher than this time last year (because the Crab Feast went really well.) The attendance was very good, better than 30 people there.

Our speaker was Dr. John Bartkovich. He's quite passionate to say the least, which is good. One thing that he's stressing is getting new voters. To paraphrase, it's using the strategy that worked in Ohio to make Maryland a red state. You know, it was in 1984, it can be again.

But we did go through a list prepared by the Maryland state GOP and decided that some of the strategies outlined wouldn't work so well here, at least this far in advance. However, one thing we can do is be out in the community, and we'll put effort there. I'm going to take my turn at our booth at the mall in a couple weeks. (It's a Chamber of Commerce function, the name escapes me.)

Also, there's a couple events I'm likely going to. Senator Stoltzfus has a "Picnic in the Park" a week from Saturday that I'm going to get a ticket for. I applaud his stance on the "Fair Share" fiasco and also think that the investigation into Governor Ehrlich's hiring and firing practice is a partisan witch hunt just to embarass him. And, he answers his e-mails.

Honestly, as gerrymandered as the districts are here, I'm not even sure he's my state senator, but he seems like a good conservative politician, so I encourage the support.

It was noted that it's a busy week ahead, as Congressman Gilchrest is here Monday for two townhall meetings, Lt. Gov. Steele is here on Wednesday for two events, and an announcement by Brian Kilgore next Friday. Might have to wander over there. Plus the Stoltzfus picnic.

So my homework assignment is to register a voter and tell them how I did it. I may have to cozy up to the newbies in the complex to do it.

Well, the next meeting is October 24, 7:00. Guess I'll not worry so much about being prompt, as such I can get my workout in.