Sunday, October 02, 2005

Taking the quiz

I'm not going to change the name of the blog quite yet. But I actually helped out theGoldwater today by clicking on his Google ad. I know, sacrilege. But it was an ad for the Libertarian running for Ohio governor, a guy by the name of Bill Peirce. Actually, I agree with practically everything on his stated platform. But I don't always agree with the Libetarians as a whole.

Or do I? I actually had taken what they call the "World's Smallest Political Quiz" before. At the time I registered right on the line between conservative and libertarian, at the outside of the box. But now my position is only a few steps right of the top corner as seen on the quiz, more solidly libertarian. I think a couple of my positions have moved some on the "personal issues score." It's now 70 on personal issues and 100 on economic issues. I think it's because my view on the "war on drugs" has softened a little bit.

It's odd because I also fit the given definition of "conservative" as well: "Conservatives tend to favor economic freedom, but frequently support laws to restrict personal behavior that violates "traditional values." They oppose excessive government control of business, while endorsing government action to defend morality and the traditional family structure. Conservatives usually support a strong military, oppose bureaucracy and high taxes, favor a free-market economy, and endorse strong law enforcement."

With the possible exception of "government action to defend morality", it's pretty close to my view. We tried to legislate morality with the 18th Amendment, and it didn't work.

So I'm wondering where others who read this fall along the quiz lines. I'm betting half or better register as libertarians, and most of the rest as conservatives. But it's nice to have an idea. Take the quiz!