Sunday, September 11, 2005

Championing the private sector

Since I can't sleep (stuffy nose) I'm perusing some of my background websites that I check occasionally. And I found this article about what the private sector is doing to help out Katrina victims.

As always, leave it to the market to adapt its know-how to the situation. I have a related anecdote to share. As I was doing my shopping in Wal-Mart last Sunday, there was a sign back in their water section that stated their brand of bottled water would be temporarily unavailable because it had been diverted to the Katrina-hit areas (but they had some other brands available.) So somebody at Wal-Mart cleaned out a bunch of stores of various supplies and shipped them south.

Speaking of hurricanes, I'm watching Ophelia with some interest as Delmarva is within the "cone" of its possible path. If there's a silver lining to this, if it went over us, Ophelia's projected path would swing it over a great deal of land mass first and likely weaken it to tropical depression strength or less. But I'm thinking it may be best to place my car in the other parking lot midweek, otherwise it may be sitting in a foot or two of water.

This is where I'll end my first post. As I was writing part two, I decided that the subject was such it deserved its own entry.