Friday, July 29, 2005

Fallout

Doing some cleanup this morning...finish the week strong. Took the day off work today and I'm going down to Norfolk tonight to see my Mud Hens there (hope the weather holds!)

First of all, I've gotten good comments on my last post so far (from those who've said stuff.) Made them think, that's the idea. This one may not have quite the same effect, but I'm likely taking the weekend off. Supposed to be a rainy weekend here and I do have to catch up on some reading (not to mention mundane stuff like cleaning my place.)

One thing I follow fairly closely is the union movement. My dad was a Teamster for almost 40 years and his comment (or parting shot, if you will) was that "unions are for the lazy man." To an extent it's true. I negotiate my own wage or at least accept a job where I think the pay and benefits are fair, rather than let someone else dictate my wage.

So the split of the AFL-CIO piqued my interest. I'm a bit confused though. On the Change to Win Coalition website they list 7 member unions, but so far I've only seen confirmation of a couple (Teamsters and SEIU) dropping out of the AFL-CIO. All in good time, I guess. I don't see the United Food and Commercial Workers in there yet, but they've threatened to join. They're my favorites, since I saw their propaganda for several years when my first ex worked at a grocery store.

A few days ago I commented on a fundraiser by Karl Rove for Lt. Gov. Michael Steele's possible Senate campaign. (He needs a campaign website!) Here's a story from the Baltimore Sun. I did see that the number of protestors changed from 40 to 30. Maybe the National Park Service did the count.

I did notice the Sun reporter spent a few words describing Rove's car, "a blue-gray Jaguar," and noting Steele arrived in a state vehicle. A state vehicle? Fodder for later controversy? For Rove's car - code message for "someone please run Rove off the road, he's killing us"? Naaaah. Wouldn't do them much good anyway, I'm sure the number of blue-gray Jaguars per capita is pretty high in D.C.

Finally, nice to see some ink on the Captain's Cove project on Virginia's Eastern Shore, a little history included. Actually, I do have a vested interest in that one, as my employer worked on the clubhouse project, including a few details by yours truly. It should be a cool thing for the area once they finish.

Speaking of Virginia, a drive south awaits, so enough for now.