Sunday, July 24, 2005

Vive le Lance

Lance Armstrong makes it seven straight. Great job! And the best part is that now the Tour de France can go back to its rightful place in obscurity.

I won't argue that Lance Armstrong isn't a superb athlete and a role model as a cancer survivor. And he has decided to retire on top, which should be an example for pro athletes (are you listening, Jerry Rice?)

But really, it's a bike race. Talk about not spectator-friendly. You see them go by and that's it for the most part. At least with NASCAR, yeah, they go fast, but they go by 100 to 200 times.

Doing some reading while I was looking for a link to Lance, and found this article on the woeful state of the baseball card industry. It's not surprising to me, that "industry" saw its day 15 years ago. I know I sold my cards about 2 or 3 years too late and the value tanked in the interim. Anymore you can find all the baseball stats you'd ever want on the Internet.

But I recall the first packs of baseball cards I ever bought, back in 1973 (think the top cards in the packs were Phillies pitcher Dick Selma and White Sox pitcher Jim Geddes.) I want to say they were 15 cents for 12, not $3 for 6 like they are now. That's what killed the industry.

I used to buy the sets in the late 1980's and take those cards of players who were in the IL to Mud Hen games to get the cards signed. But I got tired of kids getting 2 and 3 cards of each player signed so they could give them to dad for him to sell. Now I just go to the Shorebirds games with my digital camera and take my own action shots.

And, as for my topic of last night, I continue to get responses and I appreciate the insight. The information is really helpful and I think it's going to prove my point. Think I'll sit down Thursday night and write the blog post in question.

Also thinking about some changes to the blog, but that's more medium-term. Things will remain as they are at least until my vacation in August.