Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Katrina relief efforts

Unless you've been under a rock for the last couple days, you know that Hurricane Katrina simply laid waste to the Gulf Coast in an area from New Orleans on the west to Mobile, Alabama on the east. If not, this should tell the tale. I think when it's all told in weeks (not days) we're going to find out about hundreds, if not thousands, dead. (And how much do you want to bet that if the number is remotely close, someone will compare it to the number of dead in the War on Terror?)

I actually sent a resume to a company in Mobile when I was looking for a job, so I was interested in the storm. On top of that, one of the nicest couples I've met here was a traveling nurse and her househusband, natives of New Orleans. Hopefully her assignment kept her away from their home on this occasion.

Very sad, and the impact isn't through yet as heavy rains spread over the Ohio Valley up into the Great Lakes region...even tornadoes this evening across the bay in eastern Virginia. Delmarva is given a slight risk of that activity tomorrow as the remnants of Katrina pass to our north.

People are already stepping up, including favorite leftist whipping boy Wal-Mart, who's already announced a million dollar donation to the Salvation Army. They're also collecting at their stores for additional funds.

It's been suggested that Thursday be a blogger's relief day (thank Hugh Hewitt for the idea.) I think it's a good idea, and I'm sure the idea will spread. I'm getting out in front a little bit since I'm not always the best poster.

Two organizations I know will be down there helping out:

American Red Cross: www.redcross.org or 1-800-HELP-NOW
Salvation Army: www.salvationarmyusa.org or 1-800-SAL-ARMY

Plus like I said, Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores will be accepting donations, as I'm sure other entities will be too. Basically they'll put out the tsunami relief jugs with "Katrina" relief instead. It was noted that right now the best things to donate are money and time (if you can get there to help out through these organizations,) at the moment household goods and clothes are secondary in need.

Remember, the dollar you give to an efficient private charity is one less dollar an inefficient government needs to spend. And somehow I know America will dig deep in its pockets and come up with billions.