Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Short post

Just a few odds and ends tonight...

At work, we're well on our way (hopefully) to making a donation to the relief effort. My co-worker George gets the fastest finger award, he had an e-mail regarding this to us before 8:00 this morning. So I made a donation, and apparently Keith (the owner) is going to match what we put in. It's the least we can do.

Katrina's Wrath is a blog you should check out. The writer is Mike Bayham, whose columns are regularly on the www.gopusa.com page. He's from the New Orleans area, but fortunately he got out in time. Possibly less fortunate are in-laws of a friend of mine, who live in Biloxi. My friend's not heard from them since this came down.

Sadly, I think I'm going to be right on the thousands figure of killed that I came up with. Also sounds like the Big Easy has become the Big Mean Streets, as looting is rampant. Check out the video.

But people are already pitching in, there's a figure cited of over $45 million in private aid so far, and I'm still convinced we'll have $1 billion in this before it's all over. Not sure if this counts "in-kind" aid.

Well, I went back and actually signed up for the Fired Up! Maryland blog. Basically just want to tweak them a bit and ask the tough questions. They're in cackle mode because they think Gov. Ehrlich's going to be busted on his firing practices. But my simple question, and I really want to know this: what law did he break? Methinks this is a "seriousness of the charge" investigation. Maybe I'll drop an e-mail to Sen. Stoltzfus, who's on this investigating committee (one of 4 R's vs. 8 D's) and see if I get an answer. I doubt I'll get anything of use from the FU! Maryland folks. (Hey I like that acronym, it's perfect!)

Wonder how the bloggers relief effort will go tomorrow. I'm interested both in how they do moneywise and how much coverage the partisan media gives them.